Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A Confirmation Lap Dance

Most of my blog entries are fairly focused and intended as reflections on my life as an adoptive parent; however, there are moments too humorous in our family's life not to note somewhere beyond our own dinner table. Perhaps if I blog events like this it also will provide some balance (for myself) to my typical need for deep introspection.

Our family that is together was eating a few moments ago, enjoying the spaghetti, salad and bread sticks I had prepared. My wife Claudia is out of town on business, two of our sons are playing in a football game (when there's only one parent home, we usually forego sporting events, even though we do so regretfully), a third son is watching them play football, and our three older sons are out of the home.

As I was getting ready to leave the table our sixteen-year-old son who, along with his fifteen-year-old sister, will be completing their confirmation process in a month, asked me about the confirmation project. (Our confirmands prepare what I call a "Personal Expression of Faith" which needs to include each of those elements ... related to the person, an expression of whatever form they choose, and related to their spiritual journey.

"So, Dad, if I do a CD [by which he means compiling a CD of favorite music and a written explanation of why that music has spiritual relevance to him] what kind of music can I use?"

I've explained this numerous times, so as I was drawing a breath to remind myself to be patient, one of the other kids, just beginning confirmation chimed in, "It has to be Christian music." I said, "Not necessarily, but it does need to have some kind of connection to your faith."

No sooner had those words fallen from my lips than I heard the other to-be-confirmed daughter saying, "I want to do something that's never been done before."

Affirming her positive approach [the last two years with her have been so very difficult, although the last two weeks have been a marvelous respite ... more on that later] I suggested in jest, "How about a rap dance?" Knowing that had never been done before, I thought it might open her thoughts to something even more creative.

"What?! You want my confirmation project to be a lap dance?" she responded incredulously.

"Umm. No. I said, a 'rap dance.'"

Those who understood laughed while the others exhibited a befogged face. And no, I don't think I'm going to add that the list of suggested confirmation projects.

2 comments:

Our Family said...

I love those moments. Jason once sat down to our Tomato soup and Grilled cheese supper and he declared that he didnt eat cheese after 6pm...and thenat a picnic where we had chunks of cheese, he declared he didnt eat cheese on windy days...then at the drs office, he told the dr that he was afraid he had "osteo-ferocious"
Those moments are cherished when some days seem so hard! Thank you God for umplanned, humorous moments!

Blessings today!

FatcatPaulanne said...

Well that would be different!