Monday, August 06, 2007

Leading A Different Life


Our son Tony is still with his grandmother (my mother), starting the beginning of two weeks now. I talked with him ever so briefly last night on the telephone, and he has no interest in returning home any time soon. The picture you see above is not how Tony dresses when he is home. You can't see in the picture, but he is actually wearing a pair of cowboy boots that were mine back in the mid-1970s, and the overhauls were his choice of apparel now that he's doing physical labor with Grandma Mary.

My mother gets a bit possessive of Tony. He was the first grandchild, and from the beginning has had a special place in her heart, which he is all too aware of. It makes the transition back into our home always a bit challenging, but it is worth it for him to have this opportunity in life.

It's funny how time changes things. When I was Tony's age I preferred to be at my grandmother's and grandfather's house than home, which worked for a few days, and then my mother (their daughter) would become resentful. I remember many "discussions" in which I left my grandparents' home tearfully because my mother felt I had been there too long, and I needed to come back "home." The pattern repeats itself now for another generation, and I am trying to learn from our my experience of some thirty years ago. I remember how much I enjoyed being at my grandparents', how that experience did not lessen my affection or attachment to my own mother, and that it can be a positive thing.

"Farmer Tony" appears to be having the time of his life, and those of us left at home are finding our life's blissfully quiet during this time, too. It seems we are all benefiting from leading a different life.

No comments: